Tender coconut, wonder of nature which gives fluid of life. Its water is one of the nature’s most refreshing drinks, consumed worldwide for its nutritious and health benefiting properties. Botanically, coconut plant belongs to Arecaceae family of palm trees and has the scientific name: Cocos nucifera.
The coconut tree has been called the “Tree of Life” for its uncanny (nearly miraculous) healing properties and usefulness. A study of the coconut tree reveals an almost supernatural evolution to become one of the most useful species of plant life known to man.
Coconut palm flourishes well along the costal tropical environments. A coconut tree may yield several hundred tender nuts each season. Different species of coconut palms are grown all over the tropics. Naturally, their taste and flavor of water show variations according to saline content in the soil, distance from sea shore, mainland, etc.
Some of the medicinal properties of tender coconut water reported:
- Good for feeding infants suffering from intestinal disturbances.
- Oral rehydration medium
- Contains organic compounds possessing growth promoting properties
- Keeps the body cool
- Application on the body prevents prickly heat and summer boils and subsides the rashes caused by small pox, chicken pox, measles, etc.
- Kills intestinal worms
- Presence of saline and albumen makes it a good drink in cholera cases
- Checks urinary infections.
- Excellent tonic for the old and sick
- Cures malnourishment.
- Effective in the treatment of kidney and urethral stones
- Can be injected intravenously in emergency case.
- Found as blood plasma substitute because it is sterile, does not produce heat, does not destroy red blood cells and is readily accepted by the body.
- Aids the quick absorption of the drugs and makes their peak concentration in the blood easier by its electrolytic effect.
- Urinary antiseptic and eliminates poisons in case of mineral poisoning.
(Source of information: internet)